5 Fun Unique Pregnancy Announcement Ideas For Friends and Family
Congrats! You’ve finally made it to the point where you’re comfortable sharing the big secret you’ve been carrying around for the last few months. Now it’s time for the fun part—telling everyone the news!
From social media reveals to elaborate party surprises, the pregnancy announcement has become a rite of passage for parents-to-be. And the more creative the announcement the better! We’ve rounded up some of the best pregnancy announcement ideas for parents to help you tell everyone about your great expectations and share this special moment with your family and friends.
To Share or Not to Share. That is the Question.
Before you start thinking about what you’ll do for your pregnancy announcement, talk to your partner to make sure you’re on the same page about what details you feel comfortable sharing and what you want to keep private. The details you might want to include are:
- How far along you are
- Your due date
- The baby’s gender
- A picture of your ultrasound
- A link to your registry
When you decide to share the news is a completely personal decision. Typically, most people wait until they’ve passed their first trimester to announce that there’s a baby on the way, but you should do what feels right for you and shouldn’t feel pressured into making your announcement until you are ready.
The Big Reveal: How to Share the News
Do you want to tell the whole world your family is growing or just share the news with a more intimate group of people? Depending on how large a net you want to cast, there are a seemingly endless number of places and ways to share your pregnancy announcement.
There are some people—like your parents or your best friend—who you’ll want to tell in person with a creative surprise (think giving your mom a personalized “Grandma, est. 2022” t-shirt, dressing an older sib in an “I’m going to be a big brother” onesie, or giving your in-laws a framed ultrasound picture), but for everyone else, consider these pregnancy reveal ideas:
- Throw a surprise party: Make up a reason to invite friends and family over for a get together, then spring your big news on them as they walk through the door.
- Make a toast to your bump: Host a dinner party, and as everyone gathers around the table, raise your glass and tell your dinner guests that there will be another chair—make that a high chair!—at the table soon.
- Spread it through the grapevine: Don’t want to make a big pregnancy announcement? We’ve all got that one friend or family member who can’t keep a secret (we’re looking at you, Grandma!). Share your news with them, then take bets with your partner on how quickly they let everyone else know!
5 of Our Favorite Cute Pregnancy Announcement Ideas for Social Media
Want to share the news with everyone you know? Post it on your social media accounts. You can even tease the big news in your stories before you do a full post. We’ve rounded up five of our favorite themes for the best pregnancy announcement ideas. Check them out and see if any of them inspire you.Play With Words. Looking for fun pregnancy reveal ideas? Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words. Classic examples include a photo of a pair of baby shoes with the caption “We’re growing by two feet!” You’ll make people stop and think for a second and inject some humor into your announcement.
- Tried and True. You can never go wrong with a traditional approach. For a scroll-stopping pregnancy announcement idea, pair a sweet little onesie with an even sweeter sentiment—think “And then there were three” or “Oh baby!”—for a classic reveal photo. If you have older kids, announce your news with an “updated” family photo that has one of you showing off your ultrasound photo.
- Get Inspired by Celebs Have a celeb you’re obsessed with? Check to see if they’ve posted a clever pregnancy announcement—and recreate it!! You can take a page from Russell Brand’s book and share your news with a snap of you reading a parenting book, or recreate Molly Sims’ simple but joyful pregnancy announcement idea with a photo that showcases your huge smile and a jumbo-sized balloon.
- Get Everyone In On It! You’re adding to your family… so why not show your whole family? Nail the group shot with a photo of your first child holding a sign that says “Big Brother in Training,” or, if you have multiple kids, line them up in age order and give everyone a number to hold that represents their birth order while you hold the new baby’s number over your bump. Or you can take a funny approach, like this family that loaded their little ones on a raft with a sign that says, “We’re going to need a bigger boat.”
- Slay it on TikTok Is TikTok more your style? One trend in pregnancy announcements is to create a video that’s a joyful, emotional—and maybe even funny!—way to tell the world that a baby is on the way. You can create a video that captures the reactions of family and loved ones when they heard the news, or borrow this creative and (hilarious) idea: these parents-to-be tricked everyone into thinking they were taking a photo when they were actually spreading the news.
The Most Important Rule of Pregnancy Announcements? Have Fun!
Sharing the news should be one of the highlights of your pregnancy. Make it fun, keep it authentic, and enjoy the moment—there are many more happy moments to come!