Baby Shower Gift Ideas: 7 Sweet Surprises To Spark Joy
Baby showers are a cherished ritual to celebrate the upcoming arrival of a baby—and you want to make sure you mark the occasion with a special gift for the parents to be. Not sure how to choose the right gift? We’ve put together a list of cool and creative baby shower gift ideas. Read on for inspiration!
1. Essential Starter Kit
Want to give a baby shower gift that’s both thoughtful and practical? How about a bundle of essential supplies to help the parents-to-be get through the early days with their baby? Include must-have items like diapers, wipes, diaper cream, baby wash, bottles, blankets, and a cute onesie tucked into a cute tote or basket the parents can use to organize other nursery items.
Don’t feel confident about picking everything yourself? Look for pre-assembled gift sets that include an assortment of items new parents need.
2. Nursery Delights
- Crib and mattress: Every nursery needs a crib and mattress to give the baby a safe space to sleep and play. This is typically the main piece of furniture in a nursery, so find out what style crib the new parents want so you’re sure it complements their taste.
- Changing table: This is another nursery essential that will get lots of use. If space is limited, some parents opt to use a changing pad on top of a dresser instead of a traditional changing table—so check the registry to see if the parents have specified what they’d like.
- Rocking chair or glider: Late night feedings make comfortable nursery seating a must. Chances are the mom- and dad-to-be have a specific style in mind, so if they haven’t included a chair or glider on their registry ask to make sure you get one that’s in keeping with the nursery design.
- Diaper pail: A must for any nursery and one of the best baby shower gifts because it's so essential, a good diaper pail locks away the smell of stinky diapers.
- Bassinet: The AAP recommends infants share a parents' room, but not a bed, for at least six months—and a bassinet in their bedroom makes it easier to follow this recommendation. Choose a bassinet, like the MamaRoo Sleep® Bassinet that has 5 parent-inspired motions, 5 speeds, and 4 white noise options that can be mixed-and-matched for the ultimate soothing combination to help babies fall asleep and stay asleep.
This gear can sometimes be pricey, so consider purchasing a crib, glider, or travel system with other friends and family - as a group gift.
3. Practical On-the-Go Gifts for a Baby Shower
The amount of gear a little tiny baby needs comes as a shock to many new parents—and to their budgets. Make their transition to parenthood a little easier with baby shower gifts that cross these items off their wish list:
- Car seat: A safe car seat is an essential most parents will use daily. Many new parents may opt for an entire travel system - car seat, car base and stroller, so make sure to check their registry to understand their preference.
- Baby carriers: A baby carrier or sling are good baby shower gifts because it lets parents keep their baby close while keeping their hands free to do chores or run errands.
- Diaper bag: Every new parent needs a roomy diaper bag to tote diapers, wipes, a change of clothes, bottles and other baby necessities. Look for one with lots of pockets that’s easy to wipe clean and comfortable to carry.
- Playard: A playard might not be a necessity, but it’s one of those gifts for a baby shower that will give the parents-to-be a safe place for their new baby to sleep and play. It can be used as a second 'all-in-one station' if a parent has a larger house (for changings, naps, etc.), or it's great for future travel. Choose one that’s sturdy and easy to set up, like the Breeze® Plus that opens and closes with one hand.
- Baby bath tub: Bath time can be intimidating for new parents, but a tub with built-in safety features, like the 4moms® Cleanwater™ Tub that has a color-coded digital thermometer integrated into the design, can help them feel confident every time they give their baby a bath. Pair it with a cute towel and a bottle of baby wash for a cute tub-themed baby shower gift.
- High chair: A good-quality high chair will get years of use. Choose an option that the new parents can use from the day they bring the baby home, like the 4moms Connect High Chair® that has adjustable features so it can grow with the baby, from newborn to toddler.
4. Keepsakes and Personalized Baby Shower Gifts
Thoughtful keepsakes make wonderful baby shower gift ideas that will bring oohs and aahs during the baby shower… and be treasured forever.
Think of items such as a personalized baby blanket monogrammed with the baby’s name or initials, a bracelet or pendant that the baby can wear as they grow, or a memory book or journal that the parents can use to document important milestones, photos, and heartfelt messages.
Another great idea for a keepsake baby shower gift is a gift certificate for a family photo session with a local photographer.
5. Pamper the Parents
Who says all the best gifts for a baby shower need to be for the baby? New parents often struggle with finding time to care for themselves, so things like spa vouchers, comfy slippers, lotions and other items that pamper exhausted moms and dads make great baby shower gifts.
You can also send a subscription box with healthy snacks and self-care tools that will deliver a little bit of indulgence right to the new parents’ door every month and remind them that you’re thinking about them.
Another baby shower gift idea that’s made for babies but is truly a gift for the parents too is the MamaRoo® Multi-Motion Baby Swing™, the top-rated multi-motion baby swing that mimics the natural motion parents make to comfort their babies. The MamaRoo Baby Swing gives parents a safe and entertaining place where they can set their baby down and get a much needed hands-free moment.
6. Educational and Engaging Books
How about baby shower gifts that help build the baby’s library? Choose a variety of board books and picture books, from classics like Goodnight Moon and The Very Hungry Caterpillar, to popular newer titles like The Book with No Pictures or The Day the Crayons Quit. You can also pick out a few parenting books for the parents, too.
7. Gift Cards
Still not sure what baby shower gifts to get? Gift cards that let new parents pick out what they need when they need it are always appreciated. Consider giving a gift card to the retailer where they registered so they can buy any remaining items on the registry.
Or you can give them a 4moms eGift Card so the new parents can pick out a MamaRoo Baby Swing or Breeze Playard if they end up needing another set of hands once the baby arrives.
Another great baby shower gift idea is gift cards for local restaurants so they can order a quick meal in during those busy early days when there is no time to cook.
Get ready to shower the new parents with love - and the best baby shower gifts
Finding the just-right gifts for a baby shower can be just as rewarding for you as it is for the parents-to-be. Whether you choose to give a practical gift like a 4moms gift card or something more unexpected, like a family photo session, it’s the thought and consideration that goes into your gift that truly matters.