Tips to Improve Baby's Sleep With the mamaRoo sleep® bassinet
- Swaddle your baby for naps and nighttime sleep in the bassinet. Swaddling is calming for babies because it mimics the snug sensation they’re used to from being in the womb and also prevents their natural startle reflex from interrupting their sleep. (While most babies sleep best when swaddled, some babies prefer not to be swaddled so ultimately it’s up to parents to decide what you want to do.) If you choose to swaddle your baby, continue swaddling until your baby begins to roll or can break free.
- Lay your baby down drowsy, but awake. This will help your baby learn how to fall asleep in her own space while the bassinet’s motion and sound will gently soothe her to sleep
- Use the mamaRoo sleep bassinet at night and for as many naps during the day as you can. With consistent use, your baby will learn to associate the bassinet with sleep, and help her drift off to dreamland more quickly.
- If your baby is fussing in the bassinet, try adjusting the settings. For example try a different motion, or adjust the speed. You can use the 4moms app to make these adjustments without disturbing your baby.
- Use one of the 4 white noise settings whenever your baby is in the bassinet to help soothe your baby, and block out background noise that could keep her awake.
- Experiment with motions, sounds, and speeds. Every baby is unique and the variety of settings with the mamaRoo sleep bassinet enables you to customize its features for your child.
- Practice safe sleep. Always place baby on her back for sleep; keep all objects such as pillows, blankets, and stuffed toys out of the bassinet; make sure the room is a comfortable temperature; and place your baby in the same room where you sleep for at least the first 6 months, as recommended by the AAP.
- If your baby is inconsolable, check to see if her diaper needs to be changed, if she is hungry, or that she doesn’t have a fever, cough or otherwise appears to be ill. Consult your pediatrician if you have concerns.
Written by: Carolynne J. Harvey, Baby Sleep Expert, author and founder of Dream Baby Sleep®. Carolynne and her team educate and empower tired parents around the world to take control of sleep in their homes. She is a graduate of The Institute of Pediatric Sleep and Parenting™ Certified Sleep Consultants, Newborn Sleep Certified and attended Family Sleep Institute’s Child Sleep Consultant program. Dream Baby Sleep® has been designated a safe sleep guardian by 501c3 First Candle. Carolynne is an active member of the International Association of Child Sleep Consultants (IACSC) and she is a frequent speaker at industry conferences and events.